12 Best Essential Oils for Anxiety
12 BEST ESSENTIAL OILS FOR ANXIETY
It will surprise many people that anxiety can be successfully and naturally alleviated with essential oils. I review for you just how that works and reveal my list of the best essential oils for anxiety treatment.
Continuous anxiety stresses your heart and other organs, immune system and nervous system and will eventually lead to chronic health problems. It can take a big toll on your psychologic stability and your body.
Anxiety is a common phenomenon that virtually all people experience at some time in their life. It can be caused by anything that stimulates fear. It produces a nervous reaction which varies in intensity and frequency. Anxiety in it’s more dramatic forms can produce any of the following reactions:
- Breathing problems
- Heart rate increases
- Pain and pressure in the chest
- Physical shaking
- Increased body temperature
- Stomach upset
- A floating feeling
- Buzzing or tingling sensations
- Fear of losing control
People who have severe anxiety that turns into panic attacks usually 20 to 30 years old. It is not usual for an initial panic attack as a teenager or after 40 years old. Many people who are well grounded emotionally can have anxiety produces panic attacks. This increases the evidence that there is a biochemical cause that is not only psychological.
Sufferers of palpable anxiety either do nothing and try to tolerate it, seek help from someone else, or visit their medical doctor…who will likely prescribe a pharmaceutical remedy. Unfortunately the pharmaceutical remedies have unwelcome side effects and can often worsen a person’s mental state. Drugs used to address mental states can cause several physical reactions such as dry mouth, constipation, sexual problems, drowsiness, heart palpitations and more. Some of these medications can even increase anxiety!
Common drugs used to treat anxiety are Ativan, Valium, Xanax and…the most popular benzodiazepine drugs. They create a calming effect by upping the function of neurotransmitters in the same fashion as opioids do, which often lead to addiction or psychological dependency.
Past users of doctor-prescribed anxiety meds are relieved to discover there a number of essential oils that deliver tremendous anxiety-busting effects without unwanted side-effects.Much to the contrary, essential oils provide a barrage of “healthy side-effects”.
Scan my list here for an essential oil that appeals to you and your anxiety symptoms.
THE 12 BEST ESSENTIAL OILS FOR ANXIETY
At any moment roughly 10% of US adults experience the unnecessary stress and emotional pain of anxiety.
Progressively people are learning to use one or more of the best essential oils for anxiety relief. The best essential oils for anxiety help settle the mind, stabilize breathing, and calm the whole body. The combination of essential oils with massage can be very restorative to anxiety sufferers, particularly in combination with psychological counselling.
Essential oils are completely natural and organic, drawn by distillation and other techniques from the flowers, leaves, bark or roots of a wide variety of plants.
Here are the 12 best essential oils for anxiety treatment that are known to be dependably effective for sufferers.
Bergamot Essential Oil
- Known for its powerful calming and antidepressant effects
- Benefits can be enhanced if blended with frankincense and lavender essential oils
- Reduces blood pressure and heart rate
- Yields proportionately higher benefits for higher anxiety sufferers
- Helps with insomnia by encouraging relaxation and reduced agitation
- Be aware bergamot causes increased the risk of sunburn within 12 hours of use
Chamomile Essential Oil
- Promotes a peaceful, relaxing, calming inner harmony
- Decreases irritability and worry
- Is generally safe, with small risk of allergy
- Good for upset stomachs
- Acts as a sedative for better sleep
Clary Sage Essential Oil
- For reducing depression, anxiety, and the inability to sleep
- Traditionally known to create uplifting and a general euphoria
- Best used with diffuser in bedroom or in a relaxing bath
- In bath mix can be mixed with ylang ylang essential oil
Frankincense Essential Oil
- Great for treating depression and anxiety because of it’s calming energy
- Can helps deepen meditation and quiet the mind
- Great mixed with bergamot and lavender essential oils for massage
- Helps to enter meditative states and become reflective
Jasmine Essential Oil
- Jasmine fragrance is an outstanding feature
- Restores energy levels and mental outlook
- Use in an essential oil diffuser
Lavendar Essential Oil
- The most common essential oil, effective against restlessness, irritability and general nervous tension
- Has a calming, relaxing effect which is restorative to the nervous system
- Generates inner peace and sleep
- Lavender essential oil via capsules reduces heart rate variation significantly
- Proven to lower anxiety in patients undergoing surgery and visiting the dentist
- Helps blood circulation
- Reduces headaches that caused by tension in shoulder and neck muscles
Neroli Essential Oil
- Lessens the angst within and calms
- Good for severe stress.
Patchouli Essential Oil
- A health-giving emotional modifier
- Inspires positive thinking by calming and relaxing
Rose Essential Oil
- Very settling to the emotions
- Popular for relieving anxiety and depression, grieving and shock
- Use in aromatherapy and foot bath to reduce anxiety
- An anti-depressant and mild sedative
- Gentle welcoming fragrance
Sandalwood Essential Oil
- Moderates chronic stress and anxiety
- Balances your body, mind and spirit energy
Vetiver Essential Oil
- A nervous system tonic with a tranquil, grounding and reassuring energy
- Often used for trauma and panic attacks
- Helps with self-awareness, calmness and stability
- Decreases jitteriness and hypersensitivity
Ylang Ylang Essential Oil
- Good for anxiety and depression
- Has calming and uplifting effects
- Promotes cheerfulness, courage, optimism and soothes fearfulness
- Calms heart agitation and nervous palpitations
- A moderately strong sedative, good for insomnia
- Can be sensitizing or irritating to the skin
- Avoid using in conditions of low blood pressure
- Lowers blood pressure and reduces rapid heartbeat
- Has sedative effect for good sleep
HOW TO USE ESSENTIAL OILS FOR ANXIETY
There are 2 general methods to apply essential oils for anxiety…
- Indirectly inhaling essential oils with vaporizer, humidifier or aromatherapy diffuser
- Direct inhalation of essential oils using individual inhaler with drops floated on top of hot water
- Essential oil molecules enter the nasal cavities and stimulate the limbic system of the brain
- Stimulants regulate heart rate, breathing patterns, production of hormones and blood pressure
- Keep essential oil on cloth or cotton balls in a plastic ziploc bag for quick relief when mobile
- Massaged into skin using essential oils diluted in a carrier oil
- Since essential oils are potent, dilute and blend with a carrier oil
- Massage blended oils into affected area, bottoms of the feet, rims of the ears
- Also good in compresses and in baths
- Include several drops of essential oil to bath to breathe in and absorb into your skin
- Use diffuser in the bathroom while you bathe
- Combine with lotion and bath salts
Now you know there a several great essential oils for anxiety treatment that can provide the same effects non-organic and sometimes harmful prescribed medications.
To fend off your next bout of anxiety get a bottle or two from the list above…and get ready for an anxiety-free life!