17 Best Essential Oils for Acne
BEST ESSENTIAL OILS FOR ACNE
Pimples on your face interfere with feeling good about your physical appearance. But you can control an outbreak organically and quickly, by using the best essential oils for acne.
The 17 best essential oils for acne problems presented here were carefully chosen from hundreds of essential oils. Each oil has qualities that target acne in a unique way.
We have listed the most potent acne-fighting characteristics of all 17 essential oils right here.
Select as many as you want from the following list and you’ll be fully prepared for your next acne challenge!
Basil Essential Oil
- Sweet aroma, with a hint of camphor
- Basil is one of the best essential oils for acne due to its strong antibacterial properties
- Potent against all skin conditions
- Can use to make anti-acne face masks
- Popular in treatments for respiratory illnesses
- Do facial steaming by adding 2 drops of basil essential oil to steaming water, then allow basil-infused steam to open up pores and fight bacteria present.
Bergamot Essential Oil
- Extracted by pressing oil from the skin of bergamot orange
- Aroma is sweet and citrus
- Refreshing, invigorating
- Effective against many health issues, including acne
- Lightening properties can diminish acne scars and blemishes.
- Create a bergamot scrub by making a paste of 2 teaspoons of orange peel powder, 1 teaspoon of orange blossom water and 1 drop of bergamot essential oil.
- Put paste on facial skin and leave on for about 10 minutes, then wash off
- Don’t expose skin to sunlight for several hours after use
Chamomile Essential Oil
- Aroma is sweet, a bit like apple
- Used to fight several types of skin issues, including acne breakouts.
- Lightens acne scars
- Make anti-acne facial wash:
- Use 2 tablespoons of liquid castile soap to in a dispenser mixed with water
- Add several drops of chamomile essential oil
- Rub the mixture on facial skin and rinse off
- Use twice daily
Clary Sage Essential Oil
- Good for acne & pimples
- Helps with menstrual cramps
- Aroma is fruity and earthy
- Used for cosmetic purposes for centuries,
- An antidepressant
- Antiseptic, bactericidal and astringent qualities help fight acne
- Reduces skin inflammation and works as a natural remedy for acne and skin irritations.
- Regulates the production of oil on the skin
- Reduces stress hormone cortisol which helps to cause acne
- To fight stress diffuse a few drops of clary sage oil in a closed room.
- To kill bacteria in pores that cause acne, apply a few drops of clary sage oil directly to the skin with a cotton ball or by diluting it a carrier oil then massage into skin
- Fill bath with warm water and 20 to 30 drops of clary sage essential oil, then soak
- One of the best essential oils for acne
Cypress Essential Oil
- Scent is clean, spicy and woody
- Extracted by steam distillation of the twigs and needles of the cypress shrub
- Has natural astringent properties to shrink large pores
- Good for acne from oily skin or perspiring skin
- Acne massage oil for oily skin:
- In light carrier oil add several drops of cypress essential oil
- Add 4 teaspoons of lavender essential oil and only 2 drops of rosemary essential oil
- Massage on the acne areas twice a day and enjoy the wonderful smell
Frankincense Essential Oil
- Aroma is woody and musky
- Obtained from frankincense resin
- Has healing, invigorating properties all skin and reduced wrinkles
- Good for healing acne scars
- Is antibacterial and anti-inflammatory, fights acne
- Frankincense acne blend:
- In a cup of carrier oil, add a few drops of frankincense essential oil, 2 drops of lavender essential oil and just 1 drop of tea tree essential oil.
- Apply a couple of drops onto your face and acne-prone areas at least once each day.
Geranium Essential Oil
- Floral, citrusy aroma, floral with a hint of pepper, with a green color
- Extracted from the leaves (not the petals) of the geranium plant
- Rich in antioxidants and is for aging skin
- Strong antibacterial compounds fight acne
- Helps various skin conditions
- Regulates oil production to prevent acne breakouts
- Promotes skin elasticity and stimulates circulation when applied directly
- Acne treatment: mix 5 teaspoons of pure aloe vera gel and 4 drops of geranium essential oil and apply directly, in the evening
- Has natural antibacterial and antimicrobial abilities
- A popular natural treatment for skin irritations and infections
- A home remedy for acne
- Has detoxifying properties that make it one of the best essential oils for acne
- Has antibacterial qualities, good for anti-acne topical solution
- Apply 2–3 drops directly to the skin where acne is prevalent
- For sensitive skin, dilute with a carrier oil for direct application
Lavender Essential Oil
- Aroma is sweet, clean, and floral
- Helpful against acne because of analgesic, antibacterial and antiseptic properties
- For oily skin (not for dry skin), lavender oil effectively controls acne
- Can also be applied directly (undiluted) onto the acne area
- Reduces stress in the body and the mind
- Has anti-bacterial qualities and can be used on the skin when diluted
- Good for all skin types
- Benefits aging skin through stimulating cell regeneration
Lemongrass Essential Oil
- Heals acne internally by drinking hot lemongrass ‘tea’
- Aroma is sharp, fresh, lemony
- Extracted by steam distillation, yielding a pale to vivid yellow colored oil
- Rich in vitamin A, which stimulates cell regeneration and has anti-acne properties
- Contains Vitamin E which lightens acne skin and acne scarred skin
- Acts as a natural astringent
- Antibacterial and antimicrobial
- Great for steam baths and herbal saunas
Oregano Essential Oil
- Scent is slightly minty and spicy
- Has the highest percentage of phenols in all aromatic plants. Phenols have strong disinfectant properties.
- It’s antibacterial and antiseptic
- Very effective against acne.
- Apply oregano essential oil to skin to prevent and treat acne.
Neroli Essential Oil
- Smell is floral, sweet, misty
- One of the most popular essential oils for acne treatment due to its amazing healing properties
- Has antidepressant and antianxiety qualities
- Great for headaches.
- Has anti-infectious and antibiotic properties make it one of the best essential oils for acne
- Good for sensitive and mature skin types
- Rejuvenates the skin by improving cell regeneration
- Great for shrinking enlarged pores
- In vitamin E oil, add a few drops of neroli essential oil and massage acne and acne scar areas.
- Is antiseptic, antibacterial and antifungal
- Used for acne and other skin conditions
- Smoothes fine lines and wrinkles
- Great for aging skin.
Rosemary Essential Oil
- Aroma is woody, strong and herbaceous
- Effective for inflammation caused by acne bacteria
- Has antimicrobial properties that can fight full-blown pimple breakouts, and halt acne before it starts
- Combine a cup of oatmeal with ½ cup of green tea and ½ a cup of rose water. Make a paste and add several drops of rosemary essential oil and apply to the skin like using soap to treat acne by attacking bacteria clogged up in your pores
Rose Essential Oil
- Smell is floral, sweet, and rosy
- As an anti-bacterial oil, is one of the best for acne treatment
- Has its antioxidant, antiseptic and astringent properties for pimply and acne-prone skin
- Good against acne breakouts caused by hormonal imbalances.
- Dilute a few drops of rose essential oil in ½ cup of grapeseed oil and mix. Apply to acne area 2 or 3 times daily.
Tea Tree Essential Oil
- Scent is strong, medicinal and fresh
- Probably the best essential oil for acne treatment due to powerful antibacterial, antimicrobial, antiseptic, antiviral and disinfectant properties
- One of the very best essential oils for acne treatment
- It fights bacteria that cause acne and accompanying inflammation
- For acne treatment, add a few drops to a cotton ball and apply directly (without dilution) to the acne area. Use also in daily face or body wash, or sprayed on the face or body from a spritzer bottle
Ylang Ylang Essential Oil
- Aroma is floral, sweet, fruity, and delicate
- Ylang ylang is among the best essential oils for acne
- Has antimicrobial and astringent properties
- Make an ylang ylang hydrosol by adding several drops of ylang ylang essential oil to a cup of clear water. From a spray bottle apply to the face as often as needed for acne treatment
So…Why Do We Get Acne?
Acne occurs when facial skin pores become blocked. Swelling then occurs due to the growth of a bacterium and results in spots or bumps called papules or pustules.
Severe acne conditions can create scarring of the skin. Early prevention and ongoing treatment are needed to avoid skin damage and scarring.
Don’t be afraid to put essential oils for acne directly on your skin. They are volatile oils, but they will not clog up your pores, even when blended with carrier oils.
Acne sufferers experience much healthier facial skin after using essential oils for acne. High-quality essential oils keep skin clean and free from conditions that cause acne.
Get Started on Your Acne Treatment
Now that you are fully aware of all the benefits of a large array of essential oils for acne, you can put your commercial acne products away and begin experimenting to discover the essential oils and carrier oils that have the biggest beneficial effect on your facial skin.